|Black Hog Brewing Company
115 Hurley Road Bldg 9A | Oxford, CT 06478
Black Hog Brewing Company was founded by brothers Jason and Tom Sobocinski and their family friend and brewer Tyler Jones. The dream of opening a brewery came true when the team purchased the former Cavalry Brewing in Oxford, Connecticut.
Tyler Jones has a degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of New Hampshire. After homebrewing for a while, Jones completed the Master Brewers program at UC Davis. He brewed at Mercury Brewing Company, Smuttynose Brewing Company, and Portsmouth Brewery before opening Black Hog Brewing Company.
The Sobocinski brothers ran Casues Fromagerie & Bistro (the success of which also led to a cookbook sold nationally), then later started The Cheese Truck, which became the top food truck in New Haven. In 2013 they opened Ordinary, a popular bar in New Haven.
Black Hog Brewing Company is the latest endeavor for the team, bringing together a love for food, family, and craft beer. Black Hog brews unique beers with local ingredients.
The tasting room and brewery is located in a 3,500 square foot space in a commercial complex in Oxford, Connecticut. Grab a seat and enjoy a few beers with friends, or play Pac-Man and Galaga.
There are eight taps at Black Hog. The beers on tap during our visit included…
- Easy Rye’ Da – 4.8% ABV Session Rye IPA brewed with experimental, Nugget, and Summit hops. Easy drinking and hop forward with spicy and sweet citrus flavor.
- Ginga’ Ninja – 6.5% ABV Red IPA brewed with 5 pounds of fresh ginger and hopped with Centennial, Cascade, and Apollo hops.
- Granola Brown Ale – 5.7% ABV Brown Ale brewed with a “granola” mix of oatmeal, grains, hops, and roasted malts. Smooth and malty with hints of chocolate and raisin.
- Coffee Milk Stout – 5.5% ABV Sweet Stout enriched with cold-extracted coffee. Rich and creamy with hearty roasted coffee flavor. Served on nitro.
- T.H.C. Vic Secret – 5.5% ABV Single Hop American Pale Ale that showcases single hop, while maintaining identical malt bills and hop schedules.
- Autumn Nugget – 6.5% ABV Spiced Wet Hop Ale brewed with 150 pounds of fresh Nugget hops for 30 barrels of beer.
- Black Hog Down – 7.5% ABV Black IPA brewed with six different big hops including Ella and Citra.
- Bacchanalian Barleywine – 10.5% ABV Barleywine, an orgy of American and British malts, hops and yeast producing an earthy, cracker sweetness with a big bitter pop and slight citrus hop.
- Disco Pig 3.1: La Rouge Trois – Bourbon Barrel-Aged Sour Ale, collaboration brew with Oxbow Brewing out of New Castle Maine.
Beers can be purchased in flights of 6 beers for $8 or pints to enjoy in house, or 32-ounce squealers can be filled to go. The Disco Pig Series beers are also available in 500mL bottles to go.
You can also purchase several Black Hog Brewing Company beers in cans including Granola Brown Ale, Ginga’ Ninja, and Easy Rye’ Da. Cans are available at local bottle shops and Total Wine locations throughout Connecticut.
During our visit to the brewery, the Bourbon Barrel Cherry Aged Milk Stout was released in bomber bottles. We were lucky to get one of the last of the 240 bottles that were released.
The tasting room is open Wednesday 4 to 6 PM, Friday 2 to 7 PM, Saturday noon to 6 PM, and Sunday 1 to 5 PM. There is typically a food truck on site.
Black Hog is located only 3 miles from OEC Brewing. Make the trip, and enjoy some tasty Connecticut beers!