|Resurgence Brewing Co.
1250 Niagara St | Buffalo, NY 14213
Resurgence Brewing Company is located in Buffalo, New York on Niagara Street between Auburn and Breckenridge Streets very close to the Niagara River on the city’s west side. The brewery recently celebrated its second anniversary in June 2016.
The brewery is known for brewing high quality, unique and experimental brews with flavors that “lie outside the realm of the ordinary.” The brewers at Resurgence Brewing Company are inspired by childhood memories, and according to their website, they enjoy “playing with tastes to see what translates from plate to pint.”
The taproom and beer garden experience space at Resurgence Brewing Company offers bar seating, large biergarten-style tables, and smaller high-top tables. Games like Buffalo-themed trivia and gigantic Connect Four are found throughout the space.
The beers on tap during our visit included…
- Resurgence IPA – 7.1% ABV West Coast-style IPA with notes of citrus, grapefruit and pine. Notice hints of mango and tropical fruit, balanced by slight grass on the back end.
- Sponge Candy Stout – 5.5% ABV stout brewed with real Watson’s Sponge Candy clippings with hints of caramel, dark malt and toffee.
- Loganberry Wit – 4.2% ABV traditional Wit style with some mild banana and light fruit esters with a subtle loganberry finish.
- Resurgence Bock – 6.7% ABV traditional German dark lager brewed with lots of dark, rich malts for a deep flavor and toasted caramel aroma.
- Blood Orange Saison – 5.5% ABV farmhouse saison with all of the grassy wheat profiles and juicy, citrus-forward flavors from real blood orange juice.
- Cosmic Truth Session Ale – 4.3% ABV sessionable ale with notes of pineapple, tropical fruit and citrus.
- Smokey the Beer – 5.1% ABV rauchbier with smooth caramel flavor with a nice smoky nose.
- Tropical Wit – 4.0% ABV wit with tastes of pineapple, mango, even a little kiwi.
- Summer Saison – 5.0% ABV saison with big yeast ester flavors, light citrus, some banana, and tangy fruit.
- Chipotle Cinnamon Stout – 5.2% ABV spicy-sweet stout brewed with chipotle chilies and cinnamon.
- Mangose – 4.7% ABV collaboration beer with Wagner Valley Brewing Company has the salty, sour flavor of a classic gose with a hint of tropical mango sweetness from the addition of real mango puree.
- Lime Berliner Weiss – 4.5% ABV Berliner Weiss
It should be no surprise that I absolutely loved the Chipotle Cinnamon Stout. The combination of the sweet chocolatey stout with cinnamon and a refreshing warmth from the chilies brought back memories of enjoying a spicy drinking chocolate on Christmas Eve in Santa Fe.
I also found the Mangose and Lime Berliner Weiss to be extremely drinkable and refreshing. Perfect accompaniments to a warm summer day.
In addition to the house made beers, a guest taps from McKenzies and Flying Bison were available, as well as Sangria, local wines, and soda.
Beers are poured in full or half pints and available in flights of 4 beers for $8.
Beers are available in growlers or crowlers to go. The Resurgence IPA and Blood Orange Saison can be purchased in cans to go, and the latest bottle conditioned anniversary brew is available in bottles to go.
The food menu (which is written on a large chalkboard on the exposed brick wall) lists snacks like flavored popcorn, soft pretzel stix, and chips with salsa, as well as Bread Hive Bread Boule, Hummus Plate, and RBC Meat & Cheese Platter.
For something more filling, try the Artisan Pizza, Gramma Mora’s Burritos, Peppers Palooza, or the Roasted Pork Sandwich.
I enjoyed the Peppers Palooza. This spicy hot pepper dip by local pepper purveyor Peppers Palooza has just the right amount of kick from the banana peppers. Served with a side of crispy chips, it’s a great dish to pair with Resurgence Brewing’s more hoppy beers.
If you find yourself traveling through Buffalo, Resurgence Brewing Company is a brewery that’s not to be missed. The brewery offers a comfortable, fun vibe with a large selection of well-made, creative craft beers.
Resurgence Brewing Co. is open Tuesday to Thursday 4 to 10 PM, Friday 4 to 11:30 PM, Saturday noon to 11:30 PM, and Sunday noon to 7 PM. There is a parking lot and ample street parking.