|Denizens Brewing Company
1115 East-West Highway | Silver Spring, MD 20910
Denizens Brewing Company, an urban brewery that opened in the summer of 2014, is located steps from the Metro in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland. Brewmaster, co-founder and graduate of the Siebel Institute of Technology, Jeff Ramirez concocts some unique brews on site. He originally brewed for Iron Hill Brewery and Restaurant.
Ramirez brews about 2,200 barrels yearly on the 15-barrel system. There are a handful of flagship beers on draft, along with several rotating seasonal brews. The beers on tap during our visit included…
- Southside – 7.2% ABV Rye IPA with notes of red grapefruit, orange marmalade, caramel and rye.
- Lowest Lord – 5.3% ABV English-style ESB with notes of toffee, dried cherry, sourdough and fresh flowers.
- Big Red Norm – 7.6% ABV American Red Ale with hints of blackberry, pine, caramel and sourdough.
- Born Bohemian – 4.9% ABV Czech-style Pilsner with notes of dandelion, straw and a crisp finish.
- Third Party – 9.4% ABV Belgian-style Tripel with hints of white pepper, candied pear and a warming finish.
- Ponch’s Porter – 4.5% ABY Dry English Porter with coffee and chocolate flavors.
- Sex Panther – Seasonal India Black Lager
- Short Session – Seasonal Double IPA
- Wee Bit Funkay – Seasonal Sour Ale
- The Shirtless Horseman – Seasonal Russian Imperial Stout
The beers fermenting in the tanks, available on tap soon include Maibock, Sour Saison, Red Saison and Brett IPA.
Pints can be purchased for $6.50, and sample pours are $3.50 or try a flight of 3 beers for $9. Growlers can be filled to go. Local wines and soft drinks are also available.
Don’t just drink beer while visiting Denizens, however, be sure to eat the delicious food from the BBQ Bus. Enjoy BBQ wings, pulled pork tacos, and baby back ribs. Go for a bit of everything with the BBQ Bus Sampler, which includes sample size portions of smoky pulled pork, pulled and spiced chicken, and Angus brisket.
For vegetarians, there is a falafel burger, smoked mozzarella quesadilla, and vegetarian chili. The black bean and corn salad, candied sweet potatoes, and crispy slaw are also delicious veg options.
Enjoy brews and food in the spacious outdoor beer garden, cozy and vibrant upstairs dining area and bar, or the downstairs taproom with a view of the brewing area.
If you plan to visit, Denizens is open Monday to Thursday 4 to 11 PM, Friday 3 PM to 1 AM, Saturday 1 PM to 1 AM and Sunday 1 to 10 PM.
Tours of the brewery are available on Saturday at 4 and 5:30 PM. Tours cost $10, demonstrate how beer is made and the science behind it, as well as a tasting of five brews. You can purchase tickets at giftrocker.com.
Every Tuesday is Trivia Night at the brewery. There is also live music and open mic comedy nights. Check Denizens’ website for more information.