|Other Half Brewing Company
195 Centre Street | Brooklyn, NY 11231
Other Half Brewing Company, located in Brooklyn, New York, was founded in 2014 by Sam Richardson and Matt Monahan.
Richardson studied Fermentation Science at Oregon State University and worked as head brewer for Greenpoint Beer Works. Monahan worked in the food industry before also joining the Greenpoint Beer Works team.
Other Half is located on Centre Street in Carroll Gardens, next to the Brooklyn Queens Expressway and just two blocks from the subway.
If you arrive before they open, you may assume you’re at the wrong place, but the brewery is in fact located in the graffiti covered building across the street from McDonald’s. Look for the graffitied beer bottle with the “drink me” tag, and you’ve found the entrance to the taproom.
Other Half has a reputation for their fresh, delicious IPAs like Green Diamonds, All Green Everything, or the popular single hop series of IPAs. Beer lovers will wait in line for hours for the chance to purchase a $16 4-pack of cans on release days.
Other Half has a relationship with Iron Heart Canning, a mobile canning company based in New England.
We arrived 10 minutes before the brewery opened on a Sunday afternoon, and as we walked through the doors at noon, the small taproom seemed to fill to capacity almost instantly.
We snagged seats in the corner of the one table in the center of the rustic, cozy taproom along with other eager drinkers. Other drinkers stood along the perimeter of the room, while some took their beers into the brewing area.
The chalkboard behind the bar lists the current tap offerings.
- Green Diamonds – 9.2% ABV Imperial IPA with Amarillo and Galaxy
- Topaz – 6.2% ABV All Brett C Fermented IPA with Topaz
- IPA – 7.0% ABV West Coast Style IPA with Cascade, Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook, and Summit
- We’ve Been Out Here In Orbit – 12% ABV Imperial Stout
- Greenbacks – 6.7% ABV IPA with Azacca, Topaz, Mosaic, and Citra
- Amarillo – 7.0% ABV Single Hop IPA
- Simcoe – 7.0% ABV Single Hop IPA
- Short, Dark, & Handsome – 7.4% ABV American Style Stout with UK Fuggle and East Kent Golding
- Forever Ever – 4.7% ABV Session IPA with Jarrylo, Azacca, and Mosaic
- ESB – 5.7% ABV Extra Special Bitter with UK Fuggles
The hop-forward beers are definitely the shining star at the brewery, however the roasty stouts were a satisfying palate cleanser. It’s no surprise that Green Diamonds was superb, but I filled my growler with Amarillo. The beer truly showcased the floral, tropical, and citrus notes of the hop.
Beers are available in 4-ounce, 8-ounce, 12-ounce, or 16-ounce pours depending on style. You may purchase two 4-ounce pours at a time. Both 32- and 64-ounce glass growlers can be filled to go. Bottles and cans are sometimes available. Glassware and t-shirts are available, and tours of the brewery are offered by appointment.
The taproom is open Wednesday to Friday 5 to 10 PM, Saturday noon to 10 PM, and Sunday noon to 6 PM.
Other Half is a must stop if you’re in Brooklyn!