326 N. Lewis Road, Ste 240 | Royersford, PA 19468
Stickman Brews was founded by Beer Busters Podcast Episode 82 guest Ethan Buckman, his cousin Jim Buckman, and Jim’s wife Kate Sorrento. Located in the former Sly Fox production brewery at 326 N. Lewis Road in Royersford, Stickman opened in December 2015.
At only 24 years old, Ethan brings over 5 years of brewing experience to the table. He began homebrewing at age 18, then completed an internship at the Church Brew Works in Pittsburgh, PA. He also worked for Hofbrauhaus in Pittsburgh, Mustang Brewing Company in Oklahoma City, served as the cellar master at Amalthea Cellars winery in Atco, NJ, and worked as head brewer at Free Will Brewing Company in Perkasie, PA.
Stickman Brews focuses on American twists of Belgian inspired beers made with house cultures of farmhouse and wild yeast then fermented and aged in open top fermenters. The goal is to blend modern American brewing innovation with the classic funk of Belgian farmhouse brewing.
There are currently eight handcrafted signature Stickman Brews.
- Beer From a Farm – 6.8% ABV American Farmhouse Ale heavily hopped and dominated by citrusy, piney, and resiny aromas and flavors complemented by a spicy rye character. The house farmhouse yeast strain adds subtle fruity and black pepper notes.
- Cautionary Tale Ale – 5.8% ABV Wild Black Ale that combines deep, roasty, and coffee chocolate notes with the piney, dank flavor of Nugget hops and fermented with the house wild yeast culture.
- Crushing Student Debt – 8.3% ABV Belgian Double Brown fermented with Abbey yeast pours deep brown with roasty, malty, and yeast ester notes on the nose. Dried fruit flavors meet a deep toasted malt character rounded out by a subtle dank hop character.
- Frankie Holland – 7.1% ABV Bier De Garde fermented with the house farmhouse yeast. Lots of fruity esters and spicy, smoky, phenolic characters. European hops give a clean bitterness and floral undertones to complement the bready, toasted malt character.
- Kentucky Waterfall – 5.2% ABV Kentucky Style Common that’s strictly business in the front with an assertive funky nose and distinct tartness from the sour mash.
- Obesity Epidemic – 7.5% ABV Belgian Style Stout full of smoky, burnt sugar, coffee, and chocolate notes with Chinook hops to brighten the whole thing up.
- Plant Matter – 9% ABV American Tripel brewed with Pilsner malt and a touch of rye giving a delicate caramel malt backbone, then heavily hopped with resinous American hops and fermented with Belgian yeast.
- The Professor – 6% ABV Smoked Saison malt forward amber saison fermented with the house farmhouse yeast giving a spicy and smoky phenolic character paired with a deep smoky undertone from cherrywood smoked malt. This savory beer gives notes of toffee, caramel, and dried cherries.
The signature beers on tap during our visit included Crushing Student Debt, Obesity Epidemic, and Plant Matter, my new favorite Tripel.
Other specialty beers on tap included Psychosomatic – a Belgian Dark Strong, Wishbone – a Wild Wheat Saison, XXXtra Gluten – a Sour White Saison, The B-Side – a Black Pattersbiere, and Twerkalicious – a Belgian Dubbel.
Beers can be purchased in 4-ounce, 8-ounce, and 16-ounce pours. Flights of your choice of 4 different beers are also available. Some beers are also available in 22-ounce bottles to go – sold in brown paper bags, of course.
Hungry? Sandwiches and dogs are served on Friday and Saturday. Try sausage and peppers in red gravy served on a long roll with provolone, BBQ pulled pork served with fresh pickles on a potato roll, or the quarter pound hot dog or beer brat with raw onions, kimchi, sauerkraut, or Sabrett’s Sauce.
On Friday, enjoy a cup of mac n’ cheese with your choice of toppings like applewood smoked bacon crumbles, chorizo sausage, scallions, bleu cheese, peas, roasted cauliflower, asparagus, tomatoes, butter toasted panko crumbs, and Sriracha.
On Saturday, check out the taco and enchilada bar. Choose 2 tacos, hard or soft, with seasoned ground beef, shredded cheese, lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chipotle lime sauce, or a turkey enchilada with spiced chocolate mole sauce and Spanish rice.
When you visit, plan to stick around for a while. Hang out with friends, play Darts, Jenga, or Cards Against Humanity, and try all of Ethan’s beers.
Stickman is open Wednesday and Thursday 1 to 9 PM, Friday and Saturday 1 to 10 PM, and Sunday 1 to 9 PM. Stickman is closed on Monday and Tuesday.
The entrance to the brewery is located directly across the alley from Park Towne Beverage facing 10th Avenue. If your GPS brings you to the front of the shopping center, simply drive around back. There is plenty of off street parking.
I look forward to visiting Stickman often and enjoying what Ethan brews up next!