|Mispillion River Brewing
255 Mullet Run St. | Milford, DE 19963
Mispillion River Brewing, located in the Milford Greater Business Park off of Airport Road in Milford, Delaware, opened its doors in November 2013. Co-founded by husband and wife team Eric and Megan Williams, the business was built from a love of craft beer.
The pair have been married for over 15 years, both born and raised in Delaware. Eric only homebrewed for a few years, but quickly developed a passion for the art of brewing. Eric and Megan planned, brewed, tasted, traveled, and assembled a team of partners over two years before opening in late 2013.
Head Brewer Ryan Maloney was born and raised in Milford. He initially worked as Assistant Brewer under Jared Barnes before taking over the Head Brewer position in the fall of 2014.
Ryan brews on a 15-barrel system from Minnetonka Brewing and Equipment Company of Minnetonka, MN. The brewery includes three 15-barrel fermenters, one 30-barrel fermenter, and one 30-barrel brite tank.
There is also a 1-barrel pilot system with four 1-barrel fermenters and a 1-barrel brite tank for small batch brews available on tap at the tasting room. As you sit and enjoy these brews on site, there is a clear shot of the brewing area from the bar.
Currently, Mispillion River is only distributing in Delaware. Eventually they look to expand to the surrounding states. Mispillion River beers can be found on tap and in cans.
The tasting room is open Monday and Tuesday from 4 to 9 PM, Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 10 PM, Friday and Saturday from noon to 11 PM and Sunday from noon to 6 PM. Food trucks serve up tasty grub on Fridays and Saturdays.
The beers on tap during our visit included…
- Beach Bum Joe – 5.5% ABV Belgian Pale Ale that is light, crisp and refreshing with a fruity characteristic from the Belgian yeast.
- Reach Around – 6% ABV India Pale Ale with huge hop flavor and bitterness from Cascade, Nugget and Columbus hops.
- Holy Crap! – 9% ABV Imperial Red Ale brewed with copious amounts of Amarillo and Chinook hops giving a dominant home aroma and flavor with a pronounced malt sweetness.
- Black Tie – 6.6% ABV Black IPA brewed with El Dorado, Chinook and Cascade hops; roasted malt character balance the citrus and floral hop aroma and flavor.
- :o Face – 5.9% ABV Oatmeal Stout with chocolate notes, roasted flavor and a hint of sweetness.
- Azacca Citra – 5.5% ABV Pale Ale brewed with Azacca and Citra hops for a tropical citrus flavor.
- Threat Level Purple – 11.5% ABV Imperial IPA that boasts tropical fruit, pine and citrus flavors.
- VII Swords – 8.5% ABV Golden Stout that is golden in color but has the strong chocolate notes and mouthfeel of a black stout.
- Rise-N-Shine – 7.2% ABV Coffee Stout with a pungent coffee flavor and subtle malt backbone; flaked oats give a creamy mouthfeel.
- Jarrylo – 5.4% ABV Single Hop Pale Ale brewed with Jarrylo hops giving hints of peach, banana, orange and subtle spice.
Beers can be purchased to enjoy in the tasting room in pints for $5 or samplers for $2 each, or you can take beer home in 64-ounce growlers ranging from $12 to $16 or 32-ounce growlers ranging from $7 to $9 depending on the beer style.