|Otto’s Pub and Brewery
2235 North Atherton St | State College, PA 16803
Otto’s Pub and Brewery has been a favorite spot for fresh craft-brewed beer and local food in State College, PA since October 2002. Otto’s was opened by Charlie Schnable and Derek Duffee. The two were roommates while studying as undergraduates at Penn State University.
After 8 successful years, Otto’s moved to a new location which opened on November 1, 2010, right down North Atherton Street at a former Quaker Steak & Lube. The new spot offers more parking, more seating, and more services. There is also a gift shop at the entrance of the pub that sells merchandise and beer to go.
The new restaurant is decorated with items from the brewing history of Pennsylvania, including beer trays, posters, ashtrays, mugs, and bottle labels displayed on the walls and ceilings. The marketing materials provide a history lesson for beer lovers.
Charlie Schnable is not only one of the owners, but he’s also the head brewer. Prior to opening Otto’s, Charlie brewed at Bullfrog Brewery in Williamsport, PA, and he was a homebrewer before that. In 2010, brewer Chris Brugger joined the staff after brewing for 10 years at Tröegs Brewing Company.
The line-up of beers on tap during my visit this summer included…
- Spruce Creek Lager – 4.7% ABV refreshing American lager.
- Apricot Wheat – 4.7% ABV American wheat with aroma and flavor of apricot.
- Red Mo Ale – 5.0% ABV American red ale brewed with Palisade and Liberty hops.
- Mt. Nittany Pale Ale – 5.0% ABV American pale ale brewed with Centennial and Cascade hops.
- Slab Cabin IPA – 6.3% ABV American IPA brewed with Amarillo, Palisade, and Nugget hops.
- Double D IPA – 9.2% ABV Imperial IPA brewed with Columbus and Simcoe hops.
- Black Mo Stout – 5.1% ABV dry Irish stout served via nitrogen.
- Black Nitro IPA – 5.9% ABV well hopped dark IPA served via nitrogen and CO2.
- Arthur’s Session IPA – 4.2% ABV session IPA brewed with Falconer’s Flight hops.
- Old Fugget – 11.6% ABV big, bold ale brewed in the style of a classic barleywine.
- Keywaydin Hard Cider – 5.5% ABV cider full of bright and tart apple flavor.
- Golden Ale – 6.9% ABV unfiltered Belgian ale brewed with Styrian and Czech Saaz hops.
- Pilsener Lager – 5.2% ABV crisp, dry, golden lager.
Most beers are available in 10 ounce or 20 ounce pours. Beer can also be purchased to go in bottles, growlers, and kegs. The restaurant also has a full bar, serving wine and spirits as well as Otto’s Root Beer.
The menu at Otto’s has something for everyone from salads, sandwiches and burgers to pizza, pasta and entrees. Try the Ottonator Burger, which is topped with house made pancetta, grilled onions and Amish white cheddar cheese or one of Otto’s Favorites – the Pulled Pork Sandwich made with house smoked Hogs Galore pork shoulder with stoutie onions on a house made roll, served with coleslaw and choice of sauce. Vegan and vegetarian options are clearly marked. They even have vegan Tofu Wings! Check out the full menu here.
Otto’s also offers a Pub Club. A lifetime membership is $150 and includes a complimentary glass, free dinner for your birthday, discounts on food, beer and merchandise, ability to make dinner reservations, and invitations to special events and dinners. Every time you visit, your beer is served in a customized imperial pint Pub Club mug.