340 Verbeke Street | Harrisburg, PA 17102
The Millworks is a regional destination, showcasing Central Pennsylvania’s artistic talents as well as the region’s bountiful, sustainable agriculture. The Millworks has a “hyper-local” approach, supporting local growers, local artists, and local businesses.
Located in the former Stokes Millwork building, The Millworks includes a sustainable restaurant, a craft brewery, an outdoor courtyard, a rooftop biergarten, artist studios, shops, and galleries. The building features reclaimed wood and exposed brick in a “true Bohemian atmosphere.”
The 24,000 square foot building will eventually be part of the National Park Service Registry of Historic Places. A great quantity of the lumber from Stokes Millworks was re-purposed for tables, bar tops, window and door assemblies, and countless other features.
There are lighting fixtures that came out of the Broad Street Market from the 1920’s, the side of a Pennsylvania railroad car hangs in the restaurant, and brick from an 1830’s Perry County farmhouse was used to build the wood-fired oven.
The on-site brewery at The Millworks produces craft beers made with local ingredients, which are available in both the restaurant and the rooftop biergarten in full pours or in a pre-selected flight of four 5-ounce samples. The beers on tap during our visit included…
- Homestead Lager – 5.4% ABV balanced clean lager. Light golden in color, grainy, malty, hint of hop spiciness.
- Market Day IPA – 5.0% ABV hop forward ale. Deep golden in color, floral and citrus notes.
- IPA – 6.5% ABV hoppy bitter ale. Golden/straw in color, citrus, pine resin, light floral and herbal notes.
- Saison – 5.5% ABV fruity and spicy ale. Golden in color with spice, clove, apple cider, and pepper notes.
- Urban Radler – 4.2% ABV fresh lemon infused lager. Light golden in color, lemony, tart, and a touch of sweetness.
- Apple Spiced Saison – 5.0% ABV fresh apple cider and spice infused ale with cinnamon, nutmeg clove, and sweet cider to complement the saison spiciness.
- Double IPA – 8.8% ABV hoppy ale. Light amber in color with tropical fruit, citrus, and pine notes.
- Winter Bock – 6.9% ABV malt forward German-style lager. Mahogany in color, rich maltiness, bready, toasty, and caramelly.
- Double Wit – 7.0% ABV wheat ale. Pale straw in color. Smooth and refreshing, yet spicy from the orange peel, coriander, and Belgian yeast.
- Rye Whiskey Barrel Aged Barley Wine – 10% ABV malty, strong ale. Aged in Dad’s Hat Rye Whiskey barrels. Rich maltiness with notes of caramel, dried fruits, cherry, vanilla, and oak.
Beers from other Pennsylvania breweries are also on tap. In addition to beer, The Millworks also serves Artisan Cocktails made with Pennsylvania spirits, as well as variety of wines.
The menu proudly states that the ingredients used in the kitchen at The Millworks are sourced from local Pennsylvania family farms practicing organic or sustainable methods. Dining at The Millworks helps to support our local food economy and the preservation of a diverse, sustainably-managed environment for generations to come.
Starters on the seasonal menu include Wood Fired Macaroni and Cheese, Fried Chesapeake Clams, Smoked Beef Taco, Wood Oven Roasted Squash Soup, Millworks Stout Gravy Fries, and Wood Oven Roasted Oysters. The Urban Picnic includes locally cured and smoked meats, local grass-fed dairy artisan cheeses, and pickled vegetables.
The wood fired pizzas feature organic stone milled flour from Daisy Flour Mill in Annville, PA. Options include Tomato and Mozzarella; Smoked Barbecue Pulled Pork; Wild Mushroom and Truffle; Grilled Pear, Ham, and Arugula; White; and Meat Pizza.
Salads include Farmer’s Garden Salad, Roasted Beet Salad, and Country Cobb Salad with confit free-range local chicken, baby mesclun mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, boiled farm egg, crispy bacon, Lykens Valley cheeses, and white balsamic vinaigrette.
Sandwich options include Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich, House Cheeseburger, the Works Burger, and Smoke Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwich.
Suppers available after 4 PM include Slow Roasted Meatloaf, Farm House Pasta, Limestone Springs Rainbow Trout, Local Grass-Fed Hanger Steak, New Jersey Day Boat Scallops, Bourbon Braised Beef Short Rib, and a Seasonal Vegan Entree.
The work of over 30 artists is featured throughout The Millworks in shops and galleries, so be sure to set aside time for exploring during your visit.
The Millworks is open Tuesday to Thursday 11 AM to 10 PM, Friday and Saturday 11 AM to midnight, and Sunday 10 AM to 10 PM. There is free on-site parking. Restaurant reservations can be made online.