|Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza
2733 Papermill Road | Wyomissing, PA 19610
Mother Nature showed her fury last night as copious amounts of rain and hail fell on Wyomissing, PA on Thursday, May 22.
Around 3:00 PM the heavy rains began with golf ball size hail balls plummeting from the sky. Sky lights at the local mall broke allowing the rain and hail to plunge into the mall. Highways became gridlocked as hundreds of windshields were destroyed. The commute home was a nightmare for many.
There were 5 beers on tap from Appalachian Brewing Company.
- Water Gap Wheat Ale – a 4.9% ABV, 15 IBU light refreshing American style wheat beer brewed with a high percentage of malted wheat. This beer offers the characteristic hazy unfiltered glow with citrus flavors.
- Hoppy Trails – a 6.2% ABV, 63 IBU classic English style IPA brewed with a blend of Millennium, Amarillo, and Centennial hops offering floral aromas balanced by a rich malt bill.
- Outta Focus Double IPA – an 8.0% ABV, 80 IBU double IPA brewed in the Pacific Northwest style with copious amounts of Pilgrim, Styrian, and Cascade hops. This winter specialty is dry hopped with Simcoe and Cascade hops.
- Anniversary Maibock – a 7.2% ABV, 20 IBU malty lager deep golden in color, medium in body, and sweet in the finish. This spring specialty is balanced by subtle hop flavor and aroma.
- Batch 1000 – an 8.2% ABV, 45 IBU wheat wine brewed with wheat, honey, and Vienna mats for a malty and slightly toasty finish. This was the 1,000th batch of beer brewed at ABC’s Harrisburg brewery.
The Water Gap Wheat and Hoppy Trails IPA are part of ABC’s year round selections, which also includes Mountain Lager, Purist Pale Ale, Jolly Scot Scottish Ale, Trail Blaze Brown Ale, Susquehanna Stout and Barleywine.
The seasonal selections include the Outta Focus Double IPA and Anniversary Maibock as well as Chocolate Avenue Stout (Valentine’s Day), Kipona Fest (Fall), Ragged Edge Espresso Stout (Fall), Batch No. 666 (Halloween), Grinnin’ Grizzly Spiced Ale (Holiday), and Volks Weizenbock (Winter).
Guests were handed raffle tickets as they entered the restaurant for a chance to win Appalachian Brewing Company Swag. Marketing Manager Mike Parker was also giving away prizes to those able to correctly answer ABC trivia questions. Patrons would yell “ABC!” then have a chance to correctly answer the question. Prizes included ABC pint glasses and 22 ounce bottles of Outta Focus Double IPA.
One of the trivia questions asked about the number of current Appalachian Brewing Company brewpubs. The correct answer is 6… for now. ABC recently turned 17 years old, and they are getting ready to open their 7th brewpub in Mechanicsburg, PA on June 3. This will be the biggest ABC brewery yet, but they will focus mainly on brewing their popular sodas.
Each brewpub has their own small batch specialty on tap at any given time. This batch is usually about 20 barrels and is limited to a particular location. The specialty beer changes about every 2 months, except for Harrisburg where they have a new specialty each month.
A current specialty is Blank Stare IPA, a 5.4% ABV, 62 IBU spring seasonal brewed with a blend of Munich, Vienna and Wheat malts for a mild but well rounded body and ample amounts of Centennial and Citra hops to create a fresh, floral aroma. The beer is unfiltered and refreshing.
If you love Appalachian Brewing Company beers, you can win a Super Exclusive T-Shirt!!! by completing a Trail Pass. The punch card is completed by visiting all 7 brewpubs, enjoying a pint of all 8 flagship beers, and having a pint of one specialty beer each month. While the pass takes a year to complete, the Super Exclusive T-Shirt!!! may be worth the effort and the wait!