|Devils Backbone Outpost Brewery
50 Northwind Lane | Lexington, VA 24450
The inspiration behind Devils Backbone Brewing Company is rooted in a ski trip co-founders Steve and Heidi Crandall took to Cortina, Italy where they first enjoyed the German beer Weihenstephan, made by the oldest continuously operating brewery in the world.
Devils Backbone opened the Basecamp Brewpub location in 2008 in Roseland, Virginia at the base of Wintergreen Mountain at the crossroad of Routes 151 and 664. In 2012, the Outpost, a 15,000 square foot production facility and taproom opened in Lexington, Virginia.
The Basecamp Brewpub features a German designed Zeimen-Miyake brewing system, while the Outpost Brewery boasts a state of the art fully automated German Rolec brewing system.
The Outpost is currently brewing 24/7 on a 30-barrel, four vessel brewing system. A new 120-barrel, five vessel system is expected to be up and running this month. They will also be adding 18 960-barrel fermenters, which will put them at 250,000 barrels annually.
Devils Backbone has won several awards for their brews. Most notably, they won Mid-Size Brewing Company & Brew Team of the Year at the 2014 Great American Beer Festival. They also won Small Brewing Company & Small Brewing Company Brewer of the Year in 2013 and Small Brewpub & Small Brewpub Brewer of the Year in 2012.
After a beautiful hike at Shenandoah National Forest in the morning, we headed to the Outpost Brewery first. The beers on tap during our visit included…
- Catty Wompus – a 7.5% ABV Belgian Inspired Pale Ale brewed both like an IPA and Belgian ale.
- Trail Angel Weiss – a 4.7% ABV Bavarian Style Hefeweizen with a fruity, spicy finish.
- Vienna Lager – a 4.9% ABV Vienna Style Lager. The most award winning Devils Backbone beer.
- Gold Leaf Lager – a 4.5% ABV Golden Lager with fresh bready notes and a clean crisp finish.
- Wood-Aged Abby – a 7.5% ABV Belgian Inspired Dubbel Style Ale with flavors of brown sugar, plum, and spices.
- Bravo 4 Point IPA – a 4% ABV Single Hop Session IPA brewed with Bravo hops.
- 8 Point IPA – a 5.9% ABV IPA. The first batch of beer brewed after the conception of Devils Backbone.
- Aviator – a 5.2% ABV European Export Style Lager with toasted malt and caramel malt flavors.
Beers are available at the Outpost Brewery in a flight of four, a full flight, half pints, or full pours. Beers can be purchased to go in bottles, cans, or growlers. Every Wednesday 64-ounce growler fills are 50% off. Chips, pretzels, and Coke products can be purchased in the taproom, and you can bring your own food or have food delivered.
A few special collaboration beers were also available in bottles to enjoy at the brewery or to go. Devils Tale is a black IPA brewed with Coronado Brewing; The Devil Went Down to Oregon is an Imperial Rye Ale brewed with Ninkasi Brewing; and Double Gooch is an Imperial International Pale Ale brewed with Fat Head’s Brewery.
|Devils Backbone Basecamp & Meadows
200 Mosbys Run | Roseland, VA 22967
Later in the day we headed to the Basecamp Brewpub for a late lunch. The food here never disappoints with appetizers like Backbone Nachos, Steve’s Fried Pickles, and Get Boned Wings. Sandwiches include the Steak Sandwich, Lamb Burger, Pulled Pork Sandwich, and Heartland Bone Dipper.
Entrees include Eggs and Belly, Virginia Sausage Platter, Rancher’s Delight (ribs), Drunken Mussels, Pasta and Clams, Fish and Chips, and the Devils Platter, which includes smoked baby back ribs, marinated chicken, Vienna sausage, smoked pork belly, coleslaw, and baked beans.
The beer list at the Basecamp Brewpub included many of the beers from the Outpost Brewery and these additions…
- Striped Bass Pale Ale – a 5% ABV Pale Ale brewed with German and American hops.
- Schwartz Bier – a 5.2% ABV black bier with roasted malt characteristics.
- Cran Gose – a 5.5% ABV Gose brewed with 84 pounds of pureed cranberry.
- Trukker Pils – a 5% ABV pale gold, crisp and floral pilsner.
- Ramsey’s Export Stout – a 5.5% ABV black beer with a coffee chocolate finish.
- Morana – a 5.8% ABV Czech-style Tmave Lager with rich malty toasted notes.
- Ginger Brau – a 4.5% ABV lager infused with three types of ginger.
- Cru Noir – a 5.5% ABV Black Saison with hints of fruit, spice, and pepper.
- Maibock – a 5.5% ABV German spring beer with bready notes.
- Piwo Gwarski – a 3.6% ABV Polish Gratzer with smokey notes.
- Tommy Two Fists – a 5.7% ABV Export Lager with a bready malt body and smooth finish.
The Basecamp Brewpub is currently undergoing phase 1 of some exciting changes. A stage, bathhouse, fire pits, 200-seat biergarten, and an outdoor bar and grill are currently under construction and expected to be ready to go this summer. Phase 2 will include a barrel house and distillery.
I am always impressed by the beers at Devils Backbone, and this trip was no exception. Every beer was clean, delicious, and well made. During this trip, the lagers were my favorite. The Vienna Lager and Gold Leaf Lager were simply perfect after a morning of hiking.
When you visit, the Basecamp Brewpub & Meadows is open daily at 11:30 AM. The Outpost Brewery & Tap Room is open Sunday and Monday 1-7 PM, Tuesday and Wednesday 1-8 PM, and Thursday through Saturday 1-9 PM. Tours are available at the Outpost on Saturday and Sunday at 2, 3, 4, and 5 PM.