|Tired Hands Fermentaria
35 Cricket Terrace | Ardmore, PA 19003
Tired Hands Brewing Company has a reputation for making truly spectacular beers. Inspired by the brewers of France, Belgium and America, Tired Hands brews are brewed in small batches.
Tired Hands began over eight years ago when Jean Broillet IV was brewing in his parents’ garage. Jean worked for Weyerbacher Brewing Company in Easton, PA and later brewed at the Iron Hill Brewery location in West Chester, PA.
Jean began purchasing brewing equipment in the spring of 2010 and purchased an old physician’s building located at 16 Ardmore Avenue in Ardmore, PA. After extensive renovations, the Tired Hands Brew Cafe opened on July 1, 2011.
Tired Hands’ second location, the Fermentaria opened on April 24, 2015 at 35 Cricket Terrace in Ardmore, PA after 13 months of work. Built in an 85 year old former trolley repair shop, the new spot offers a larger space for fans to drink beers and enjoy a meal.
The dining room seats 180 people, and the concrete bar and cocktail area offers more seating. Reservations can also be made through Tired Hands’ website or by calling 484-413-2983.
The food menu includes delicious options from head chef Bill Braun. The tacos are a big hit with options including carnitas, lamb, fish, shrimp, potato and mushroom. The mushroom tacos were made with crispy maitake, chili-braised eggplant and coconut crema. They were crazy delicious. I would go back just for those tacos. Seriously.
Small Plates include Crudo, Oysters, Ceviche, Kale & Egg, Fennel & Rhubarb, Shishito Peppers, and Chips & Stuff. Large Plates include Fried Chicken with Spicy Coleslaw & Buttermilk Biscuits; Beer-Braised Lamb Shank with Yukon Mash, Carrots, Beets & Onions; and the Fish Platter with Cured Salmon, Smoked Trout, Scallop Torchon, Rye Bread & Potato Salad.
Don’t forget dessert! The current options are Donut & Coffee (complete with a citrus-chili glaze), Panna Cotta (Mexican chocolate with tequila-orange whipped cream) and Banana Spring Rolls (topped with cilantro-lime whipped cream).
Fermentaria offers 10 beers on tap and features the perfect view of the new production facility, which is capable of producing 10,000 barrels of beer a year. Cold brewed Awake Minds from ReAnimator in Fishtown, as well as house made soda are also available.
The beers on tap during our visit included:
- SaisonHands – 4.8% ABV Four-Grain Saison brewed with rye, oats, wheat and Cascade hops.
- HopHands – 5.5% ABV American Pale Ale brewed with oats. Hopped intensely with Simcoe, Centennial, and Amarillo.
- Rutilant – 5.9% ABV IPA brewed with a bit of caramel malt and wheat. Hopped with Nelson Sauvin, Cascade, and Simcoe.
- Shambolic – 6.5% ABV Dry Hopped Spelt Saison brewed with spelt. Dry hopped intensely with Nelson Sauvin and Simcoe.
- I’M SAD – 8.5% ABV Imperial Honey Coffee Porter brewed with a plethora of specialty malts, oats, and local Pa wildflower honey. Conditioned atop their AWAKE MINDS coffee.
- Ancestral – 7.5% ABV Summer Saison brewed with heaps of wheat. Hopped with Simcoe. Conditioned for one month.
- Thesaurus – 7.5% ABV Orange-Hued Saison brewed with wheat, rye and a touch of caramel malt. Well hopped with Simcoe and Columbus. Fermented in oak.
- Temporary Shape of My Own Person – 5.2% ABV Grisette brewed with spelt. Hopped lightly with Cascade.
- Foliage – 8.1% ABV Double IPA brewed with rye. Hopped intensely with Amarillo and Centennial.
- We Are All Infinite Energy Vibrating at the Same Frequency – 6.2% ABV Wheat IPA brewed with wheat. Hopped intensely with Centennial and Simcoe.
- Pineal – 6.0% ABV IPA brewed with oats. Hopped with Mosaic, Amarillo, and Simcoe.
We were lucky enough to visit Tired Hands Fermentaria on the day of the bottle release for the latest Parageusia offering. Eager beer lovers lined up the sidewalk to purchase a single bottle of Parageusia 4 from the garage door entrance of Fermentaria.
There were two tables – one to process your payment, and another to pick up your bottle from Christian Zellersfield’s terrestrial representative, Christian. Members of the Believer’s Club were able to purchase their bottle at the host stand.
According to Tired Hands, Parageusia 4 was designed by Future Rustic brewer Christian Zellersfield and personally brewed by Jean Broillet IV at Tired Hands Brewing Company. The brew is a Cabernet Franc barrel-fermented Ale.
Whether you crave a tasty brew, a delicious meal or a unique bottle, be sure to check out Tired Hands Fermentaria. Stop by Wednesday through Monday anytime between noon and midnight.