|Jailbreak Brewing Company
9445 Washington Blvd N, Suite F | Laurel, MD 20723
Jailbreak Brewing Company, located in an office park on Route 1 in Laurel, Maryland, was founded by friends Kasey Turner and Justin Bonner. The brewery opened its doors in April 2014.
The pair had previously worked high paying jobs running companies in Howard County. Justin Bonner worked as CEO and managing partner of a government contracting company, while Kasey Turner was a minority partner in a high-tech firm.
After attending a craft beer conference in Washington D.C. and visiting several local breweries, the pair decided to break out of jail… or their jobs, to open their own brewery.
Bonner and Turner brought on Ryan Harvey, former brewer for Dogfish Head, to work as brewmaster at Jailbreak. He brews on a 20-barrel system with the capacity to produce about 12,000 to 15,000 barrels a year.
Jailbreak Brewing Company is Howard County’s only production brewery. The brewery is located in a 15,000-square-foot space, which includes a popular tasting room. Visitors have a view of the brewing area from the bar through a large glass wall.
The tasting room seats about 85 people and holds about 150. There are plenty of high top tables and several stools at the bar. Visitors can play shuffleboard, or get comfortable on one of the leather couches by the 120 inch HD projector. There are also 4 other large HDTVs throughout the space.
The beers on tap during our visit included…
- Feed the Monkey – 5.6% ABV Orange Hefeweizen
- The Infinite – 5.0% ABV Amber Ale
- Carrot Cake Conspiracy – 6.7% ABV Carrot Cake Amber Ale
- Into the Dark – 6.0% ABV American Stout
- Ryemin’ & Stealin’ – 6.5% ABV Spiced Rye Ale
- Big Punisher – 8.5% ABV Double IPA
- Welcome to Scoville – 6.9% ABV Jalpeño IPA
- Imperial Scoville – 0.8% ABV Imperial Pepper IPA
- Smoke on the Waterfront – 5.2% ABV Smoked Black IPA
- Desserted – 6.9% ABV Chocolate Coconut Porter
- Dusk Till Dawn – 10.3% ABV Imperial Espresso Stout
- Van Dammit – 9.0% ABV Belgian Strong Dark Ale
- Rum Raisin White Russian – Cask Special
You can grab a full pour of any beer, but I recommend enjoying a sampler of 4 beers for $7 so you can sample a few of the unique offerings on tap. It won’t surprise you to hear that I enjoyed Welcome to Scoville. The jalapeño flavor was on point, however I was craving some heat.
Jailbreak beers are also available in many restaurants and liquor stores throughout Maryland. Several of their beers are available in cans including Feed the Monkey, The Infinite, Big Punisher, Welcome to Scoville, and the GABF Gold Medal winning Van Dammit.
The taproom is open Wednesday through Friday: 3 to 10 PM and Saturday noon to 10 PM. There is no food served at Jailbreak, however there is usually a food truck on site. Visitors are also encouraged to bring their own food.